48461 comments delivered
Scroll down to watch a video and to have your say
The Select Committee on Security and Justice invited the public to comment on the Prevention and Combating of Hate Crimes and Hate Speech Bill
- to give effect to the Republic’s obligations in terms of the Constitution and international human rights instruments concerning racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia and related intolerance, in accordance with international law obligations;
- to provide for offences as hate crimes and the offence of hate speech and the prosecution of persons who commit those offences;
- to provide for appropriate sentences that may be imposed on persons who commit hate crime and hate speech offences;
- to provide for the prevention of hate crimes and hate speech;
- to provide for the reporting on the implementation, application and administration of this Act;
- to effect consequential amendments to certain Acts of Parliament.
Have your say – shape the draft Bill. [CLOSED]
Not sure what to say?
In this video, FOR SA’s Executive Director, Michael Swain, sets out SIX important reasons why citizens who care about faith and freedom of expression must take this FINAL opportunity to have their say and make their voices heard. Deadline for comment extended to Monday 22 May 2023.