You are encouraged to provide written comments in support of or objection to the Application for the General Release of glyphosate resistant genetically modified maize into the South African environment.
Should you be unsure, please read the live comments, summary, media or resource documents below the form. Closing date is midnight 12 September 2018.
19148 active citizens had a say
Have your say now.
A copy of your message will be sent to you along with an automated proof of receipt. Check your junk mail folder if you can’t find it. As an extra measure, we will hand deliver all comments on the final day.
LIVE COMMENT FEED
Displaying newest 5 comments.
- Maize is a staple food for majority of South Africans.
- Pioneer Hi-Bred RSA (Pty) Ltd (DuPont Pioneer) hereby informs the public of its intention to submit applications for the general release of genetically modified maize into the South African environment.
- Two genetically modified types have been bred to produce a new herbicide and insecticide resistant maize.
- one is from Dow and resistant to glufosinate-amonium herbicide and insects
- the other is from Monsanto and resistant to glyphosate (Round UP)
- The general release application is intended to allow the planting of the new GMO maize in many commercial maize growing regions to use the SA environment as a testing ground to produce GM seeds which will not be commercially available.
- this application is to bulk up seed which will be sprayed with glufosinate-amonium herbicide and Monsanto’s glyphosate (Round Up).
- 702 interview with African Centre for Biodiversity’s Executive Director Mariam Mayet [listen]
Important to note; this is not a petition but is the first step in an essential Participative Democracy process protected under the SA Constitution. Your comment is immediately sent as a unique email to the designated government representative and must, by law, be individually acknowledged and considered. Had this been a petition, all comments would be seen as a single submission. This process forms a solid foundation for a legal case should the necessity arise.
By using this service you ensure an accurate record is held by civil society (on our encrypted database) so government cannot dispute facts or figures.