REPORT. Government invited the public to comment on the Firearms Control Amendment Bill.
- deleting of licensing of firearms for self defence
- reduction of licence period to five years
- reduce number of allowed licences
- limit ammunition per licence
- unlawful to reload ammunition.
151,784 comments delivered (closed 4 August 2021)
Have your say – shape the outcome.
- South Africans will not be able to apply for a gun licence on the basis that they need a firearm for self-defence, under a legislative proposal formally revived on Friday.
- The Civilian Secretariat for Police Service on Friday opened public comment on a 2021 version of the long-dormant draft Firearms Control Amendment Bill.
- The secretariat says the planned legislation will demand a valid reason when applying for a firearm licence – and self defence doesn’t count.
- Gun owners, and prospective gun owners have 44 days left to comment on the proposal.