Advert – scroll down
5370 comments delivered to the parliamentary committee (closed 30 June 2023)
The Department of Home Affairs invited comment on the draft National Identification and Registration Bill, 2022.
- Biometric ID cards required from age 10
- Caters for male, female and non-binary gender identification
- Single, inclusive and integrated biometric national identification system
- Applies to permanent residents and temporary foreigners
- compilation and maintenance of a population register and identification database
- assignment of national identity numbers and reference numbers
- issuance of national identity cards and temporary identity, deaths, births and marriage certificates.
Have your say – shape the Bill. [CLOSED]
In South Africa, you may only apply for an identity document when you’re 16 and above but, that’s about to change. Cabinet has approved a new bill that will allow citizens to get their IDs at the age of 10.