Advert – scroll down
23 comments delivered to parliament (closed 13 October 2023)
View more info at the link, or scroll down to have your say
the Portfolio Committee on Mineral Resources and Energy invited the public to comment on the Electricity Regulation Amendment Bill [B23 – 2023] and the National Nuclear Regulator Amendment Bill [B25 – 2023].
Have your say – shape the Bills. [CLOSED]
Object of the Bills
The Electricity Bill aims to amend the Electricity Regulation Act of 2006 through the following:
- To delete, amend and insert certain definitions; to provide for the application of the Act;
- To provide for the National Energy Regulator to consider applications for licences and the issue of licences;
- To provide for revocation and deregistration of licences;
- To provide for additional electricity, new generation capacity and electricity infrastructure;
- To provide for the establishment, duties, powers and functions of the Transmission System Operator and transitional measures;
- To provide for an open market platform that allows for competitive electricity trading;
- To assign the duties, powers and functions of the Transmission System Operator to the National Transmission Company South Africa;
- To provide for delegation and assignment; to provide for offences and penalties; and to provide for matters connected therewith.
This seeks to amend the National Nuclear Regulator Act of 1999 through the following:
- To substitute certain definitions and insert new definitions; to authorise the regulator to perform additional regulatory functions;
- To provide for conditions applicable to the transfer of responsibility for authorised activities;
- To provide for additional powers of inspectors; to provide for financial provision for costs associated with safe rehabilitation or decommissioning of nuclear facilities; to provide for administrative fines;
- To provide for the establishment of the National Dose Register;
- To provide for a centralised database of radiation workers; and to provide for matters connected therewith.