This guideline is applicable to all public schools.
- Alteration of Sex Description and Sex Status Act, 2003 (Act 49 of 2003);
- Births and Deaths Registration Act, 1992 (Act 51 of 1992);
- Children’s Act, 2005 (Act 38 of 2005);
- Constitution of the Republic of South Africa, 1996;
- National Education Policy Act, 1996 (Act 27 of 1996);
- National Health Act, 2003 (Act 61 of 2003);
- Promotion of Equality and Prevention of Unfair Discrimination Act, 2000 (Act 4 of 2000);
- Protection of Personal Information Act, 2013 (Act 4 of 2013);
- South African Schools Act, 1996 (Act 84 of 1996);
- Western Cape Provincial School Education Act, 1997 (Act 12 of 1997).
- create an educational environment that does not discriminate directly or indirectly against anyone on one or more grounds, including gender, sex, sexual orientation, conscience, belief, culture and birth, among others;
- create an educational environment that is free from stigma and discrimination for all learners in all public schools; and
- promote gender identity and gender expression.