STATEMENTS FROM OTHER ORGANISATIONS
Click on a logo to view.
Want to display your organisation’s statement? Click here.
- The purpose of the Bill is to amend the Disaster Management Act in order to amend the duration of a state of disaster.
- The Bill further seeks to provide that only the National Assembly, a provincial legislature or a municipal council may resolve to extend a declaration of a national, provincial or local state of disaster respectively and for how long.
- The Bill also provides for the requisite majorities required in the National Assembly, provincial legislature and municipal council in order to extend a national, provincial or local state of disaster, respectively.
- The Bill further provides that a resolution to extend a national, provincial or local state of disaster may only be adopted after a public debate.
- The Bill finally seeks to provide for oversight by the National Assembly over a national state of disaster, and oversight by a provincial legislature over a provincial state of disaster.
PORTFOLIO COMMITTEE MEETING
Portfolio Committee on Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs, 26 May 2021. (National Assembly), Briefing on the Disaster Management Amendment Bill [B2-2021]