On 6 August 2020, NERSA received a proposed determination from the Minister in terms of section 34 of the Act, attached hereto as Annexure A and also detailed below:
- To commence the process to procure the new nuclear energy generation capacity of 2 500MW as per decision 8 of the Integrated Resource Plan for Electricity 2019 – 2030 (published as GN 1360 of 18 October 2019 in Government Gazette No. 42784) (IRP 2019).
- The generator of this electricity produced will be Eskom Holdings (SOC) Limited, or any other organ of state, or in partnership with any other juristic person.
- The buyer of the electricity will be Eskom Holdings (SOC) Limited or any entity determined through the Eskom’s unbundling process as the future buyer of electricity.
- The procurer of the nuclear new build programme will be the Department of Mineral Resources and Energy, or any other organ of state, or in partnership with any other juristic person.
- The procurer designated above will be responsible for determining the procurement process, which will be established through a tendering procedure that is fair, equitable, transparent, competitive and cost-effective.
The full consultation paper is available for download below.